TeenSupport4You
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depression

2 posters

Go down

Are you affected by depression? Or is a family member or a friend?

Yes, i have depression

Yes, a member of my family or a friend has depression

I think so

I don't know

View results

Depression Empty Depression

Post by Beth@admin Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:19 am

Depression is a very big problem for young people now.
Most people get low or have a bad day, but for some people those bad days never end, in adults, young people, children, elderly but it isn't as common in people under the age of 12 but increases after this age, affecting 5 in every 100 teenagers!
One in ten children between the ages of one and 15 has a mental health disorder.
Estimates vary, but research suggests that 20% of children have a mental health problem in any given year, and about 10% at any one time.
Rates of mental health problems among children increase as they reach adolescence. Disorders affect 10.4% of boys aged 5-10, rising to 12.8% of boys aged 11-15, and 5.9% of girls aged 5-10, rising to 9.65% of girls aged 11-15.
There are lots of symptoms of depression:
*Being moody, easily upset, or tearful most of the time.
*Avoiding friends, family and regular activities.
*Feeling guilty or bad, hating yourself.
*Feeling unhappy, miserable and lonely a lot of the time.
*Feeling hopeless and wanting to die.
*Finding it difficult to concentrate.
*Not looking after your personal appearance.
*Changes in sleep pattern- sleeping too little or too much.
*Tiredness and lack of energy.
*Changes in appetite.
*Frequent minor health problems, such as headaches or stomach-aches.
*Some people believe they are ugly, guilty and have done terrible things.
*Not enjoying things anymore.
If you have some or all of these symptoms it would be a good idea to go and see your doctor.

Things that can cause depression are: Family breakdown, the death or loss of someone you love, neglect, abuse, bullying and physical illness. Depression can also be triggered if too many changes happen in your life too quickly. Most people usually get depression, not from one thing thats happened but from something happening a few times.
People are more at risk of becoming depressed if they are under a lot of stress, have no one to share their worries with, and lack practical support.
Depression may run in families due to genetic factors. It is also more common in girls and women compared to boys.

If you have depression there are lots of ways to help yourself, i will talk about these ways on another topic Smile Take care of yourselves!
Love Beth I love you
x x
Beth@admin
Beth@admin
I am too cool for school!
I am too cool for school!

Back to top Go down

Depression Empty Re: Depression

Post by This.Girl Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:38 am

wow! Shocked
didn't know things were so bad..
i dont think i know anyone who has depression, i think they probably keep it to themselves anyway, which is bad because they need help Sad
This.Girl
This.Girl
Crazy as a donkey!
Crazy as a donkey!

Back to top Go down